ARTICLE XII. CANDIDATES FOR PUBLIC OFFICE
A. The Party shall strive to run Green Party members for public office.
B. Any candidate for public office who runs on the ballot of the Party must agree to:
- Promote the Ten Key Values and the platform of the Party.
- Be legally responsible for all financial obligations incurred by the candidate’s electoral campaign.
- Be legally responsible for compliance with all requirements of law for reporting campaign income and expenditures.
- Refuse any contribution from corporations (including non-profit and not-for-profit), lobbyists, unions, banks, or Political Action Committees (PACs) that are not affiliated with a Green Party of Green campaign. Contributions from individuals who own or operate businesses or corporations are allowed. Pledge to run a small donor, grassroots campaign by not accepting financial or in-kind contributions more than $500 from any individual.
C. In the event that there are no competing Greens candidates in a race, the Party may choose to endorse a candidate by consensus or a 2/3 vote given the candidate is in line with the following criteria:
- The candidate is an independent or is not running in a corporate-funded party.
- The candidate supports the Ten Key Values.
- The candidate generally supports the Party’s platform positions.
D. The issue of candidate selection and endorsements will be decided upon by the General Membership, on a case by case basis following the process established in Article VII, Section G, Clause 2 governing Policy/Proposal/Amendment Motions.