The Green Party Stands Against Gun Violence In Solidarity With The Chesapeake Community Of Holly Cove
On Saturday, May 25th, around 10pm, gunshots were reported being fired at the Holly Cove neighborhood in Western Branch, Chesapeake. Reportedly, ten victims were shot and injured, one of whom has been reported dead. The Hampton Roads Green Party would like to extend our deepest sorrows to the victims and their families, hope that no more lives are lost due to this horrid incident, and that the surviving victims make a full recovery.
Although sorrowful and depressing, the Hampton Roads Green Party must call for “Common Sense” Gun Legislation, increased funding into education and healthcare, and the removal of money from politics, not thoughts and prayers, to prevent another tragedy such as Holly Cove from ever happening again. Thus, the Hampton Roads Green Party calls on state and national legislatures to pass legislation that:
- expands background checks to all gun sales,
- creates “Red Flag Laws” that allow family members and law enforcement to seek a temporary restriction on gun ownership of an individual, in the form of a court order, if the individual is deemed to pose a high risk of using the gun on themselves or others,
- gives everybody a debt-free chance at a higher education so that they can give back to the community, not be driven to crime and violence,
- expands funding into mental healthcare so that those who are mentally ill can afford to receive the help they need,
- removes big money from politics so that our politicians aren’t owned by the gun lobby or PAC organization, such as the National Rifle Association.
We the people must unite in these dark times so that we can be the light that will guide us to a better future for us and our posterity, so that we may form yet a more perfect union, insure domestic tranquility, and create a general welfare. The only way to obtain this is to keep fighting for what is right, and not to get bogged down in the past, we must look forward, not backwards, and move on, no matter how hard it may seem. That is why we encourage all of you to go and donate to the GoFundMe set up for the victims of this horrible shooting at https://www.gofundme.com/1ndh9zd7w0.